Bocas del Toro (or, literally, “Mouth of the Bull” in English) is a region located on the northeastern part of the Panamanian coast, along part of the border with Costa Rica. The region consists of a portion of the mainland and nine main islands.
Bocas del Toro is considered to be one of the most beautiful regions in Panama and attracts visitors from around the world every year. Within the region itself, there are two national parks: Parque Nacional Marino Isla Bastimentos and Parque Internacional La Amistad.
Bocas del Toro is also one of the poorest regions of Panama, the remote distance from the capital has left the region basically forgotten by the government. As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to work with people that are living in some of the most desperate of circumstances while surrounded by one of the most beautiful environments in the world!
- Programs available: Medical Outreach
- Site: Bastimentos, Bocas del Toro
- Airport: Tocumen International Airport (PTY)
- Language: Spanish, Guari-Guari & Ngäbere
- Housing: The Nomad Hostel
- Working schedule: Orientations & workshops for professional development and cultural sensitivity training, 6 project development (clinical) days, Education day, Professional development activity (Medical: Smithsonian Visit)
Together we can fund access to equitable healthcare around the world.
Read more »